The readings for this cycle have really opened my eyes to
the type of writer that I am. I was surprised to learn that most college
students do not dig deep into writing on a topic, take a lot of shortcuts, or
simply have no knowledge of how to correctly go about writing a paper. Based on
what I have learned, part of the problem is what we have been taught in high
school, but I feel that I have avoided a lot of that. I need to take the
responsibility to look at these things and grow as a writer here and now. This
is college writing.
I feel that I am not caught up in the modern day way of student
cheating. I have been brought up to know that taking any credit or help from
someone or something and making it seem as if it were your own is wrong and
unacceptable. I am aware of the Honor Code that JMU has and I feel that I
always follow it. When it comes to writing, I always cite and sometimes over
cite to be sure that I give credit where credit is due. Whenever I do not know
how to properly cite, I ask questions and do not leave the information there
without any credit. If there is anything that I feel that I could improve in
this area, it would be to ask more questions as to the expectations of
professors to further avoid academic dishonesty.
When it comes to research papers, I do feel that I have a
lot of work to do. I wouldn’t say that I fit Kleine’s example of students, but
I do gather a lot of information and for the most part summarize but make sure
to cite it all. I would like to work on having more thought in my research
rather than all writing based on what others have thought. The thing about
college is that professor want to see what is going through your mind, not
necessarily be presented with a bunch of information that already exists. Grasping
these ideas is so important to me because I plan to go into research as a
career. My life will be filled with writing articles and grants and I need to
be extremely good at communicating my thoughts and interests as well as what
has already been done on my topic of study.
To go along with this, I want to become a better writer
overall. Sommers made it pretty clear to me that what students lack is frame
and a passion for what they present their readers. I do feel that I am able to
be compassionate towards my readers, but I need to think more of the frame
rather than the thesis based method. I want people to be able to read my work
and not only be impressed, but feel that I have enjoyed what I presented to
them and can see my thought process start to finish. I am very glad that we
were given these readings to think about. I feel that our class will be able to
produce some great research papers now that we further understand our writing
processes.
I think this is a great reflection on the readings! You said that you know JMU's honor code and that you abide by it at all times, but I was curious about this because one of Nathan's points was that students may not even be aware of when they cheat sometimes (on tasks such as doing homework with a classmate). Do you think that you may fall victim to this and just may not know it? It's good that you acknowledge that you need to and are willing to work toward your reasearch and writing process. I think that is a very important aspect in order to improve, so you're on the right path! Good work
ReplyDeleteI del that we have learned a lot of the same things through these readings and that we have a lot of the same ideas about them. I completely agree with what Rachel said, being that we all may know the Honor Code, but do we really? What exactly does constitute cheating? We may be cheating but we don't even know it, but at that point I just feel like it wouldn't be our fault. However, I felt that this was very well written and I'm glad you are more driven to improve your writings!
ReplyDelete