I can completely agree with Anne Lamott
when she says, “Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You
need to start somewhere.” Before I even begin to write a paper, a story, a
written response, whatever it may be, I try to tell myself that could be bad
and in most cases never that pretty, but you have to get it over with. However,
in the end, I see my work as horrid and seek the nearest Writing Center for
advice.
My writing process is pretty basic:
become acquainted with the assignment, make notes, write all you can, and
review/revise until you are happy with your work. Usually discussion in class
can help me become quite comfortable with whatever it is that I have to do. If
not, I read over the assignment sheet to give my brain time to focus in on the
task at hand and think of all the things that relate to it. I never want to
waste my time when I finally sit down to get the work done, so before my
fingers ever hit the keys, I make sure I’m as ready as possible to talk about
whatever I choose.
Once I know what I am doing, I make
notes on all the stuff that I know I can write down, whether it is random facts
or simply the organization and flow of what I anticipate the paper to have.
This usually takes the least of my time during the writing process because I
use so much time simply getting my basic thoughts together before I put them
down.
Finally I begin writing the paper. I
tend to be one of those Put-It-All-Out-There-At-Once kind of writers, so I
allot myself a certain amount of time, briefly review my notes, and go from
beginning to end attempting to cover as much as I can before I panic about what
is actually in front of me. In the end, I end up having a million grammatical
errors, some issues with sentence structure, but usually a pretty solid
foundation for what the final paper becomes.
The main issue I have with my writing
is my confidence. Every other instructor that I have had in the past either
loves or hates my work. My style is very different and almost weird for a
student, but after learning about such intriguing writers such as Poe, I want
my writing to be totally and completely me. I feel that as long as I have the
content correct I should be fine, but something always tells me that I need to
please the audience not the assignment. Hopefully, I will learn to get over
this as I enter my first college writing course. I plan on continuing seeking
the help of other peers, professors, and the Writing Center once I finish my
own shitty first draft, but not lack as much confidence in what I place in
front of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment